Friday, January 15, 2010

Divisional Round Picks

By Zach Jevne featuring Josh Jevne

A combination effort here at JSJ for the Divisional Round. Another tough weekend to pick games. You never know how well the teams who were on a bye are going to look. There are some clear favorites out there, but there's got to be one upset, right?

Arizona at New Orleans

I'm taking the Saints, who will come out strong after looking bad the last three games. I don't like going against Warner, but he just had one of the best games of his career. I expect a drop-off from last week. Arizona's playing on a short week, and the defense got worn out versus Green Bay. Arizona can't do it two weeks in a row. Not with that D. Brees will come out gang-busters after having three weeks off.

Josh's Take: I don't believe in the Saints, even at home, and Warner is playing at the highest level since winning MVP trophies. However, the Saints will pressure Warner and get some hits on him, which will lead to turnovers. I am picking the Saints to win.


Winner: Saints

Baltimore at Indianapolis

I've been riding the Colts as the best team since about Week 4. I didn't like Caldwell's decision, but they'll be ready to go this week. The Ravens will be a tough match-up, but Manning will be sharp. He'll get it out quickly and avoid hits. Manning is tired of hearing all this "rest vs. rust" and "he sucks in the postseason" stuff. Indy's defense is rested and healthy. The Ravens have never won in Indy.

Josh's Take: Ravens defense looked great last week, but Flacco looked bad. The Colts will score against the Ravens, and the Ravens will have to keep up. The one thing that scares me is that the Colts are 0-3 after getting a first round bye, proving once again that sitting down starters for 2 or 3 weeks is silly. I am still picking the Colts.


Winner: Colts

Dallas at Minnesota

A very tough game to pick. Dallas is playing as well as anyone, maybe the Chargers. The Vikings have struggled against a tough defense and pressure. Home-field will certainly help Minnesota, but not if their offense stalls early in the game. That will anger the fans.

Minnesota will have to rely on Favre. I don't expect Peterson to do that much. Dallas hasn't allowed a 100-yard rusher in over a year. If he doesn't fumble, I would consider that a productive day from him. Minnesota has to protect Favre and give him time. That's the only chance they have. I'm also betting against Romo this week. One playoff win is good enough for this year. Dallas can try and make a Super Bowl run next year.

Josh's Take: Are the Cowboys really suddenly the best team left in the field? They look like it. The Vikings did not finish the season very strongly and were disrupted by teams with a strong pass rush (Pittsburgh, Carolina) which Dallas definitely has. I still think the Vikings will be able to win at home.

Winner: Vikings

NY Jets at San Diego

The fairy-tale ends here for the Jets. Phil Rivers will keep the passing attack going and the Chargers will march into the conference championship game. San Diego has too many offensive weapons, and some playmakers on defense. The Jets won't be able to sustain on the run game alone, and Sanchez will be intercepted.

Josh's Take: This looks like no contest on paper. San Diego is hot and the Jets have won ugly. San Diego has lots of weapons on offense and the Jets just try to run the ball down the opponent's throat. As Jim Rome says, the Jets are "Likes to Fight Guy" and they will brawl with anyone. San Diego will be able to take some shots and come out on top.

Winner: San Diego

No upsets this week. Seems unlikely, right? More unlikely than all the top seeds make the conference championship game? Not according to us. I was very close to going with Dallas. I thought about Warner. Picking the Jets seemed so crazy it might work. The Ravens looked like a Super Bowl team last week. Oh, well. Favorites advance.

Last week: Zach 3-1, Josh 2-2

For the hell of it, Zach's picks against the spread:

New Orleans (-7)
Baltimore (+6.5)
Minnesota (-2.5)
San Diego (-7)

Enjoy this weekend's action. A great couple of days for NFL fans.

1 comment:

  1. After going and embarrassing myself last week with zero picks being victorious, you would think I would take the safe road and pick the favorites. I have found out through small amounts of betting on numerous sporting events that I can only pick a team because I want it to win rather than picking the safe bet. So I guess I will probably go 0-4 again this week, but here are my picks Jevnes with somewhat of a rational rationale....

    Arizona - Hate Reggie - Kim Kardashian should be mine

    Jets - I'm going to ride this bandwagon this week, Sorry Zach

    Colts - Peyton too experienced, I hope Flacco does well though

    Cowboys - Romo's getting in a rythym even though he seems like those hybrid driving smug people in that South Park episode

    ReplyDelete