Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Phil Jackson on Dan Patrick Show

I don't listen to the "DP Show" too often. I won't go into a diatribe here about how his comedy stylings and talkative crew turn me off to the program, I'll just say he does a nice job with interviews. Phil Jackson called in this morning. Thanks to my twitter feed (from @AndrewSiciliano), I got the rare national interview by Phil on my radar. I needed an appointment to catch the appearance because he's rarely, if ever, on the shows I frequently listen to (The Herd, The Jim Rome Show). Any Phil interview, at any time, is intriguing. Including those in-game interviews.

Phil Jackson's thoughts on the Lakers and league, courtesy of the Dan Patrick Show, Feb. 16 [AUDIO].

Some excerpts:

On Blake Griffin: "He's going to be a multi-dimensional player, and doesn’t look like he’ll be content just doing those whirly-twirly dunks he can do. We all hope he’ll have the ability to monitor when it’s important to do that type of slam because there’s a reason his knee gave out last year. You can only exhort and expend that body that way so often and sometimes it’s going to get you in trouble…. You learn that as you grow and age in this league.”

Last season? "I'm fully determined to end my career as a coach. (pause for laughter) Did you like that?"

Another Quotable: "I have to watch Modern Family. That's what my kids tell me I have to watch."

Jackson says the only thing the Lakers need to add is Matt Barnes back to the lineup, who's been out 4-5 weeks with a knee injury and his absence has affected the second unit. Jackson also talked about the long road trip and Jerry Sloan.

The Lakers have one more game tonight at Cleveland, which will be a nice break after two bad losses, before resting for the All-Star break. I don't read too far into the losses at Orlando and Charlotte. Four games in five day, three on national TV. The Bobcats "have the Lakers' number", whatever that means. Los Angeles has dropped 8 of last 10 in Charlotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment