Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Celtics Fueling Up with Diesel

The Diesel is going green. Boston signed Shaq to a two-year deal today in hopes of boosting its front court with size and stature. The deal is said to be worth around $3 million. The Celtics and Shaq may need each other but neither should expect a ring next year.

The facts of the case are pretty straight forward, and breaking them down, this deal makes sense. The Celtics needed another center with Kendrick Perkins possibly being out until February coming off ACL surgery.

True, it makes the Celtics older but Shaq is a very comparable solution to losing Perkins. Of course Shaq can't defend the screen/roll as well, but his defense, based on strength alone, will hinder most other centers, including fake Superman in Orlando. And even at this stage, Shaq's more of an offensive threat than Perkins. He's still shoot over 56%.

The big question mark is how Shaq will react to a reduced bench role. He may get some starts along the way but he is going to be asked to come off the bench at some point. How will that affect Shaq's mentality? He was the MDE (Most Dominant Ever). He's never came off the bench before. Perhaps with a distinguished franchise like Boston's, with its Hall of Famers in place, it won't be an issue. I have to think Shaq has planned for this before signing, therefore will accept.

As much as I want to say "Shaq, retire! You're making people forget how great you were!" I won't. I won't dwell on how this is his sixth team and can't stay anywhere more than a year now. I'm actually excited to see him playing for another contender, especially Boston, who I follow closely. Along with Sir Charles and Kobe, Shaq completes my top-three list of all-time favorite players in NBA history, so I have a fan-element to Shaq. He can play as long as he wants. I've loved following his career, and will continue doing so, despite his inabiltiy to run quickly up the court.

However, I must now point out how strongly I feel that the Celtics will NOT win the title next year. They will contend and contend hard, too many great players not to. And Doc Rivers knows what he's doing, I'm pretty convinced of that, but it's past Boston's time. I like the move, but it's not going to pay off with a ring. Don't have the youth among its great players and signing Jermaine O'Neal and Shaq is a sign they're grasping at straws.

Quick numbers on Shaq

Career: 24.1 ppg  11.0 reb 35.7 min.
Last 3 years: 14.7 ppg  7.6 reb  27.3 min.

(photo: Tony Dejak, AP)

No comments:

Post a Comment