Monday, April 26, 2010

One Guy Who Doesn't Love the Draft

Too much from the NFL Draft this year. Way too much.

I get it. The NFL is king. I know, I say it. I love the NFL, but I don't love the draft. Too many question marks, too many mock drafts, too much use of the word "value."

I don't need to see it in prime-time, either. I was interested in about four picks. The top three and Tebow. That's all I needed to see and I could have gotten that on the Bottomline with all the other picks.

The Tebow selection was clearly the big story. I figured someone would take a shot on him sooner than later. You know he's going to work and do whatever it takes to improve. He played at an extremely high level in college. He deserves as much of a shot as anybody to play QB.

Am I sold that he will be a great NFL quarterback? Hell no, but I'm not sold on Sam Bradford, either. It's about one thing in the NFL - production. "Put it on film" as they say. Let me see you do it on Sunday. Until then, everyone is in the same category.

Jimmy Clausen sure didn't impress anybody, did he? Except for Mel Kiper, that is. But it doesn't matter where you're drafted. If you can play, you'll get a shot somewhere, at some time. Use it as motivation or whatever you need to do. Dez Bryant should have been taken higher than 24th to Dallas.

I'm more interested in the free-agents and trades teams make in the off-season and during the draft. You know what you're getting with those guys. The Boldin and Marshall deals. Holmes to the Jets, and Leon Washington and LenDale to Seattle. McNabb to DC. Those deals have more of an impact on this year than the draft. And with the NFL, the only thing that matters is this year.

Twitter Overkill: Don't even get me started on Twitter during the draft. I had to unfollow numerous people I respect this weekend due to overload. I avoided Twitter for the most part since Thursday night because of it. I don't need 35 tweets a minute about all the possible scenarios and everybody's opinion on a fourth-round pick for Cincinnati. I'm looking at you, @Adam_Schefter and @ProFootballTalk. Too much. I'll check back with you guys closer to the season.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. Pretty much all of the drafts are worthless in my opinion. But if there is one thing the NFL knows how to do, it is exploit peoples extreme passion for their teams, and their hopes and dreams for next season, to create a money making opportunity during the off season. But its a business, not a charity, its all about making money. At least now we have the draft out of the way, and now we can get into the topic that everybody LOVES to talk and hear about so much because it never gets old....Farve. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete