Monday, March 1, 2010

Weekend Jumble

Men's Hockey - Gold Medal game didn't disappoint. USA/Canada proved to live up to the hype. A great run by Team USA and a nice treat for the hockey faithful out there. The tying goal with 24 ticks left made it an instant classic. I know nothing about hockey, but USA never really looked like they were going to win.

The Olympics never captured me this year. But I do like how the biggest event of the entire Games, the hockey final, turned out to be the best. I couldn't get excited for Lindsay Vonn and her bruised shin. Ohno doesn't do much for me, even though I like watching speed skating. Hockey was the biggest draw for most people and it came through with the two countries who were watching the most NBC playing for Gold.

Shaun White was the highlight of the Olympics for me. He is so much better than everybody else. I wish he would have competed more than one night.

More Olympics - Like many, I didn't care for the tape-delay style of broadcasting. It's only good if you're never on the Internet. It's only fun to watch skiing, bobsledding, curling and luging if you don't know who is going to win. That's true with every sport, but especially true with Olympic sports. At the same time, I understand why NBC used that broadcasting approach. It really had no choice.

USA got over on everyone in the medal count. We're the best at the Winter Olympics!! Or are we? I tend to think Canada's 14 Gold medals are more impressive than the total. I only care who won Gold. And USA was third in Gold. Germany finished with 10 to our nine.

With the Olympics over everyone can finally see Leno back in late-night.....

SHAQ and NBA notes - The Diesel went down with a thumb injury. It was only a matter of time before Shaq headed to the injury list. Typically this is the point in the season when Shaq gets "hurt" and rests until the playoffs, so nothing really shocking. But he took it a step further this year by opting for surgery.

He could miss up to eight weeks, possibly into the playoffs. But the worst part is Shaq was injured getting his shot blocked by Glen Davis. A new low for Shaq.

The Lakers managed to get by Denver 95-89 despite Kobe shooting 3 of 17. A credit to the Lakers depth, defense and some generous calls. If Denver is held under 90 points, a lot has to go the opponent's way.

Dirk Nowitzki is an all-time great player. I've been a fan for years and he continues to impress. He passed 20,000 career points earlier this season and has a lot of years ahead. He's the best shooting 7-footer in the history of the league. I enjoy watching his silky jumper and am impressed with his career.

Unfortunately, the 2006 Finals is still hanging over his head. I will never forget that choke. I've just chosen to put all blame on Avery Johnson.

3 comments:

  1. Gotta be honest here, Im pulling for Shaq to have a good playoffs, win a championship with LeBron, and retire. I like Shaq. If he does this, he would have brought championships to 3 great guards in the league. He is already one of the best big men in history, this would not hurt his case at all. I just dont want to see him fumble around the league too long. Hope he wins and gets out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched 4 minutes of the Olympics and hated each minute.
    Thank God they won't be on for another 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa Jevne LarsonMarch 05, 2010 8:45 AM

    The Summer Olympics are far superior to the Winter games.

    ReplyDelete