Saturday, January 23, 2010

Championship Sunday

Featuring Josh Jevne

It's go-time. It's time to determine who's going to Miami for Super Bowl 44 and two weeks of hoopla.

New York Jets at Indianapolis Colts - Sunday, 2 p.m., CBS


No reason to even break this one down.

The Jets are on a fairy-tale run. Rex Ryan is hamming it up once again - "No one believes in us." "No one wants us here." You're right, Rex. No one does want you here, except for annoying Jets honks.

I know all the defensive stats. I know they dominated Phil Rivers and the Chargers. I know about Darrelle Revis. I saw a lot of analysts picking the Jets to win this game.

I'm taking Peyton Manning. I'll take him over the top defense in the league. Losing this game would be catastrophic to his legacy and career. He needs more Super Bowl wins to cement himself as the greatest ever. And don't sleep on the Colts D.

Josh's Take: The clock is striking midnight for the Jets. Nice run, but the Colts have Peyton Manning and the Jets don't. Colts win.


Winner: COLTS

            ------------------------------------------------

Minnesota Vikings at New Orleans Saints - Sunday, 5:40 p.m., FOX

This game is more challenging to pick. The Saints should win at home, but that's not the way it usually works.

Both teams are coming off impressive wins last weekend. I'm concerned that Favre was a little too happy after beating Dallas. I know he's just "a big kid, having fun" but that scene in the locker room was ridiculous.

The Vikings seem to have caught the injury bug, or they're just trying to play the "count us out" card. Kevin and Pat Williams missed practices, as did Ray Edwards. Those guys will all be suited up, but Percy Harvin coming down with another migraine is worrisome.

Each quarterback will be in charge of winning the game. I don't think Minnesota's defense will be as effective this week. Let's be honest: Tony Romo isn't Drew Brees. Minnesota will hope to get Peterson going to take some pressure off Favre.

The Saints defense led the league with 8 TDs. Darren Sharper will be looking to make a play against Favre, and I think he gets him once.

The home-field advantage will be a factor. The Vikings haven't played well at times on the road this season. I don't like picking against the Ol' Gunslinger, but I'm going with the Saints.

Josh's Take: I'm still wishing this was Rodgers v. Favre III. That would've been the best game of the season, but this is the next best thing. Even with the Saints at home, I think the Vikings will be able to make some big plays on offense (Sidney Rice) and defense (sacking and hurrying Brees) to neutralize the crowd. I am taking the Vikings.

Even though a Vikings win it will make it completely unbearable to live in the state of Minnesota for a non-Viking fan. Two weeks of Paul Allen screaming about Favre might kill me.

Winner:

Zach: SAINTS
Josh: Vikings

It's arguably the best Sunday of the year for NFL football. The best four teams remaining battling for a trip to the Super Bowl. Enjoy. May your team win.

Last Week: Zach 3-1, Josh 3-1
Playoffs: Zach 6-2, Josh 5-3

No comments:

Post a Comment