Sunday, February 7, 2010

Panthers Need Tourney Win

There's too much coverage of the Super Bowl to go over it here. I did write a Super Bowl column last week for The Simpsonian, which includes a prediction. I'm going with Colts 30, Saints 24.

Yesterday featured some solid college hoops for the schools I've given time and money. Simpson snapped a 6-game losing streak by beating Wartburg 75-73. It was the seventh home game I've been to this year, and the first win I've seen. Out of those seven games, they could have won at least four. It's nice to see the team hasn't quit.

After that game I went home to watch a typical MVC barn-burner on ESPN 2. Northern Iowa beat Southern Illinois at home 55-52. UNI will move up from its No. 22 ranking this week, which is great for national recognition. They're out to a 21-2 start, including 12-1 in the MVC.

UNI will surely make the tournament again this year, but that isn't good enough. We know they're good enough to get invited, they've proven that since 2004. With four NCAA tournament appearances in the last six, they must win the first round game. If they want to earn some respectability, get a tourney win.

NFL Playoff Record: 8-2

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the Panthers need to get a win in the tourney to gain some national recognition. The thing about the tournament is will the selection committee give the Panthers the respect that they deserve and "reward" them with a top 5/6 seed (if they continue there winning ways). Hopefully, the Panthers get a favorable draw and can do some damage in March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally something I can relate to Zach (not to say I don't relate with your NFL/NBA blogs, I just follow the panthers more closely). I am on board with you and Drew that a win is a must. I'm sure I speak for all panthers that I am getting bored with getting amped up for UNI's appearance in the tourney to only be disappointed in the first round. The only game in the tourney in which I remember them having a legitimate shot was against the eventual runner-up Georgia Tech (only lost by 3 points if my memory serves me correctly). A big key for their sucess will be to become more of an offensive team. 50 points is not going to cut it during March. Johnny Moran needs to come off the bench. His shooting has been dismal. Farohknememejmesousseesh needs to grow a pair and hit some big shots like he did last year as well. I would feel more comfortable seeing more of Kerwin Dunham in Moran's spot: he is a smart player and has been around the block. Eagleseeder (I know it is spelled incorrectly) needs to better figure out how play like a 7-footer. Every other 7-footer I have seen play basketball can take a drop step from the block and dunk it with ease. I have probably seen UNI's ogre dunk five times in his whole career. Koch and Ahelegbe are the only two consistent forces that give UNI a shot night in and night out so they avoid my wrath. I know it may seem a little pessimistic about a two-loss, top 20 team right now, but they have a lot of improving to do before March. With all that being said, go panthers, get to the sweet 16 this year, and score more than 65 points in a Valley game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only concern is this: the reason UNI has lost all of it tournament games is because they are to far away from Iowa and the Tennis Coach isn't creeping around during the game. Why else would they be losing all their first round games. Tell the Athletic Department to fork over some cash and have Tennis Guy ne at every game. The only thing Tennis guy needs to pay for is his own hookers and blow. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete